An Inordinate Fondness for Beetles

August 3, 2010

Name Change

Filed under: Blogging about Blogging — Tags: — Radical Scientist @ 4:12 pm

In a fit of internet housekeeping, I decided to change my blogonym to ‘Radical Scientist,’ because

A) I figure I should leave the title alone, now that people are actually reading this thing a little, and linking to it and such.And I’d already changed the subtitle.

B) I’d rather pretend to be a teeny bit more anonymous. Who among you  never wanted a secret identity? Especially a secret identity that your boss probably wouldn’t find when they google you?

C) No one else was using it, and it sounded kinda cool. It’s always hard to find people who are progressive or radical in science circles (Let’s face it, y’all: we’re collectively boring), and I’d like to see more scientists in radical circles (I try so hard not to grimace when some fellow-activist goes on a tear about it’s so tragic that The Establishment crushed kid’s souls with useless shit like physics and calculus, to keep them from discovering the Revolutionary Potential of Art. Art is great and all, but shit’s not gonna get done if all we do is hang out and propagandize each other)

Anyway, just FYI: I’m still running this thing on my own. This blog is my own personal treehouse in the forest of the internet. I’ll be changing over my screen names in other places too, as I get to it.

Also, I’m trying to fix the weird reverse-order comments thing. WordPress swears up and down it’s posting my comments in threaded, chronological order, so go figure. In the meantime, read bottom to top and pretend it’s fixed. Switching themes has helped for now, but I’m feeling kinda ‘meh’ about the WP Classic theme, so I’m gonna keep messing with it.

14 Comments

1. the comments thing probs has a bit to do with the theme, especially if it hasn’t been updated in a while (pre-3.0).

Comment by Emily S. — August 3, 2010 @ 5:18 pm

2. Radical scientists: we’re like narwhals! :D Also yay for internet-treehouses. I am super glad you started writing here more regularly. THE BLOGGY WORLD NEEDS YOU. Srsly.

Lately I’m thinking maybe I should have written under a pseudonynm. It’s a little late now…and I think my um, writing style would give me away kinda if I tried to start up somewhere else at this point. Oh well. Guess I’ll have to hope my blogging doesn’t come back to bite me in the ass someday. :/

Comment by Samia — August 3, 2010 @ 6:51 pm

3. I appreciate knowing more progressives are out there. I have found very few scientists interested in almost anything outside their little sphere of the world. It has been demoralizing and disappointing.

Comment by TAC — August 3, 2010 @ 7:32 pm

4. There will be narwhal t-shirts. Mark my words.

Comment by Radical Scientist — August 3, 2010 @ 7:57 pm

5. I think I’m all up to date, but I may try a new theme anyway…

Comment by Radical Scientist — August 3, 2010 @ 7:57 pm

6. Ok, this theme seems to have put the comments back in order, but not threaded. Hmmm.

Comment by Radical Scientist — August 3, 2010 @ 8:06 pm

7. Your lack of psudonymetry doesn’t seem to have hurt thus far. And I should have given you credit for the treehouse bit. I will when I eventually put it on my About page.

Which one of us came up with the Narwhal thing? I can’t even remember.

Comment by Radical Scientist — August 3, 2010 @ 9:51 pm

8. the themes don’t necessarily update when wordpress does. they’re separate pieces of software entirely with, for better or worse, full control over what wordpress actually spits out. this one is an oldie but a goodie. i think wordpress 3 is a bit light on themes, but there’s definitely efforts to improve that.

for myself, i’m working on taking the Twenty Ten theme that comes with WP3 and making a child theme that deviates from it.

Comment by Emily S. — August 3, 2010 @ 10:49 pm

9. TAC–you’re in science too? Nice to meet you. We should all start a club.

Comment by Radical Scientist — August 3, 2010 @ 11:00 pm

10. Can I be your club’s first groupie? I think I already am, but it was just you and Samia before (and C, but he doesn’t know he’s a narwhal yet).

Hey Samia! I made a narwhal design, but E wants to make his own. Mine’s cool, though, I promise.

Oh, and I’ve had some good luck super-personalizing some themes. I might could help, if I can remember which ones I found most personalizeable.

Comment by Jac — August 4, 2010 @ 11:32 am

11. i hope that we would be able to mass produce Biodiesel in the near future and i also hope that it would get cheaper,`:

Comment by Juan Torres — August 11, 2010 @ 8:35 pm

12. it is very evident that climate change is already taking effect in this decade~-.

Comment by Isabella Edwards — August 12, 2010 @ 11:13 am

13. biodiesel fuels are less polluting and more renewable compared to fossil fuels like conventional diesel~.,

Comment by Gabriel Walker — September 30, 2010 @ 9:33 am

14. Climate change is quite on the rise these days, so be prepaired for more weather disasters,*:

Comment by Emilia Palmer — October 1, 2010 @ 3:50 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress